Monday, January 18, 2016

That Dragon, Cancer


I heard of this indie game about a little boy who has cancer that started out on kickstarter, was successful on it and now the game is done. It has some controversy because of the subject, and I think some people weren't able to handle an emotional video game like this so instead took to bash it. It is to my understanding that the subject of cancer is not something we should be seeing in games. I guess some just want all the games to remain the same and never evolve. Lots of negative things happen to people all the time, and are we supposed to just not ever talk about it, or express how we feel about it in a new medium, to deal with the pain of the loss of a loved one, ever?

Now, I haven't played That Dragon, Cancer yet, but I am looking forward to playing it and here's why… I love playing video games where I am immersed into the emotions of the characters or storyline. I play games like Journey, Never Alone, Rain- all games which had me from the beginning because of the whole package (beautiful music, low lighting mixed in with contrasting light, feelings of hope for the character) These types of games also seem to have a "bigger picture" type of message which  makes me feel like the game showed me something I never noticed before about life, and death. Especially when I am trying to understand why so many people around me are dying of cancer, and I feel like we do need to talk about cancer more to help each other.

I know this game might make me feel sad. Maybe it will be depressing because it is about cancer and death, and the little boy we already know dies. All I can hope for is that this little boy's parents, who developed the game as a way to cope with their loss, can find some comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment