Sunday, January 3, 2016

Back in the Day


Back in the day, when I was young…sometimes I do forget while talking to the teens how I am old, *ahem, older than them so much so as they do not react when I make a reference to a certain actor/musician/group or someone from my day. Just because your name reminds me of a r&b singer from the 90s, does not necessarily mean that you will know who the hell that person is because you weren’t born yet. I can’t believe just how many times a teen stares at me when I try to make a reference to a singer, and all I get is a courtesy smile and giggle. I know that courtesy laugh- it is just because you are trying to be nice. You can't fool me! I do that all the time!

Anyways, I may have to start watching, listening, reading more of what teens do because otherwise we are not going to be able to relate. I need to step up my game this year. Oh, games is another one I need to start doing more.

Another thing I notice is that I keep telling myself, "I never acted like that when I was that age?" Mostly this thought enters after I have just finished scolding a teen whom I saw from the corner of my eye throw an empty coffee cup across the room, and miss the trash can. Respect is something that is clearly not in this child's vocabulary, so I made sure he learned that hard lesson from me. That single incident happened over a month ago, and everyday I go to work I have seen this one teen and I always refer to him as the "coffee cup guy" and I make sure to call him that in front of his friends, who just happens to be girls, and who laugh because they don't understand why I keep calling him coffee cup guy. One time, I even asked if he wanted to star in a tv show since he struck me as an attention grabbing type of individual. He denied that he liked attention, and promised me he would never do that again, ever. Nowadays, we say hello, and ask how we are doing, and I learned his name over time. But it is just too much fun calling him coffee cup guy, and I don't think he minds much...anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, great post!

    Yeah, kids these days are getting more and more bold and becoming more difficult to relate to. I'm sure my parents said the same thing about my generation, too. That's why I wholeheartedly agree with you...In order to bridge the gap, we have to actively look into what the average teen's interests are. Who knows, you may end up finding a good book, album or movie you knew nothing about. [:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning a lot from them! My personal goal is to learn all their names, what they are into, and what they like or dislike. Mainly I listen more.

      Delete